[R-pkg-devel] Bioconductor reverse dependency checks for a CRAN package

Ivan Krylov |kry|ov @end|ng |rom d|@root@org
Mon Feb 5 20:42:48 CET 2024

Dear Dirk,

Thank you very much for your help here and over on GitHub!

I have finally managed to get the reverse dependency checks working. It
took some additional disk space and a few more system dependencies. If
not for r2u, I would have been stuck for much longer. I really
appreciate the work that went into packaging all these R packages.

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 10:32:36 -0600
Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org> wrote:

> For what it is worth, my own go-to for many years has been a VM in
> which I install 'all packages needed' for the rev.dep to be checked.

This approach seems to be working for me, too. I had initially hoped to
set something up using CI infrastructure, but there's too many
dependencies to install in a prepare step and it's too much work to
make a container image with all dependencies anew every time I want to
run a reverse dependency check. Easier to just let it run overnight on
a spare computer.

> Well a few of us maintain packages with quite a tail and cope. Rcpp
> has 2700, RcppArmadillo have over 100, BH a few hundred. These aren't
> 'light'.

Maintaining a top-5 CRAN package by in-degree rank
[10.32614/RJ-2023-060] is indeed a very serious responsibility.

> I wrote myself the `prrd` package (on CRAN) for this, others have
> other tools -- Team data.table managed to release 1.5.0 to CRAN today
> too. So this clearly is possible.

I'll check out `prrd` next, thanks. tools::check_packages_in_dir is
nice, but it could be faster if I could disable mc.preschedule.

--
Best regards,
Ivan