[R-pkg-devel] Possible malware(?) in a vignette

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Fri Jan 26 03:44:27 CET 2024

Iñaki,

I think you got it backwards in your conclusions: CRAN has not generated that PDF file (and Windows machines are not even involved here), it is the contents of a contributed package, so CRAN itself is not compromised. Also it is far from clear that it is really a malware - in fact it's certainly NOT what the website you linked claims as those tags imply trojans disguising ZIPped executables as PDF, but the file is an actual valid PDF and not even remotely a ZIP file (in fact is it consistent with pdflatex output). I looked at the decompressed payload of the PDF and the only binary payload are embedded fonts so my guess would be that some byte sequence in the fonts gets detected as false-positive trojan, but since there is no detail on the report we can just guess. False-positives are a common problem and this would not be the first one. Further indication that it's a false-positive is that a simple re-packaging the streams (i.e. NOT changing the actual PDF contents) make the same file pass the tests as clean.

Also note that there is a bit of a confusion as the currently released version (poweRlaw 0.80.0) does not get flagged, so it is only the archived version (from 2020).

Cheers,
Simon