[R-pkg-devel] Native pipe in package examples

Thu Jan 25 16:40:08 CET 2024

On 25/01/2024 10:27 a.m., Josiah Parry wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've encountered use of the native pipe operator in the examples for
> 'httr2' e.g.
>
> request("http://example.com") |> req_dry_run()
>

> Since r-oldrel (according to rversions::r_oldrel()) is now 4.2.3, can the
> native pipe be used in example code?
>
> I do notice that the package httr2 requires R >= 3.6.0 which implies that
> the code itself does not use the native pipe, but the examples do.

I think that the package should state it requires R (>= 4.1.0), since
that code won't work in earlier versions.

I believe it's a syntax error before 4.1.0, but don't have a copy handy
to test.  That means the package won't pass R CMD check in those old
versions.  If it wasn't a syntax error, just a case of using a new
feature, then I think it would be fine to put in a run-time test of the
R version to skip code that won't run properly.