[R-pkg-devel] new maintainer for CRAN package XML

Emmanuel Blondel emm@nue|@b|onde|1 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jan 24 16:38:49 CET 2024

if XML is deprecated, then what would be the choice for a package
maintainer? Move to xml2 probably at some point I assume

I use XML in the R packages I've been developing. For some of them, I
started before CRAN started being the maintainer, and before xml2
inception. The thing is that XML fulfills requirements, it works and
fulfills needs of depending packages that made the choice to use it. For
this, it deserves to be maintained in CRAN, without having to enter into
comparison exercices with other packages that , as of today, may be
better to rely on (with certainly very good reasons).

Moving to xml2 (or whatever other package), which although I could agree
on the principle, can be costly for packages that use extensively XML.
Doing so would mean that we first get the assurance that all XML
features are covered elsewhere, and can be migrated smoothly.

In any case, please acknowledge that this kind of migration may take
time and require resources that vary (or even are missing) depending on
the package projects. I doubt having CRAN setting a common deadline for
retirement is a good way to foster an efficient maintenance of R
packages depending on XML. It would be good to receive guidance how to
migrate, while ensuring backward compatibility on our package features.

Best