[R-pkg-devel] Inquiry Regarding Package Organization in CRAN

David Hugh-Jones d@v|dhughjone@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Jan 19 21:47:46 CET 2024

Hi Andriy

Renaming the packages seems quite drastic. It’ll break existing code and
the packages’ dependencies, and any existing name recognition will be lost.
I’m also a bit sceptical that it will greatly affect discoverability: I
don’t think most users find packages by scrolling through the big
alphabetical list.

Here are some less drastic alternatives :

* Post about new versions of the packages to r-pkgs mailing list.
* Write announcements, articles and/or blog posts for rweekly.org.
* if it’s appropriate, suggest the packages for one or more CRAN task
views.
* make sure you’ve got friendly online documentation. The pkgdown package
is pretty good for this, and many people host documentation on GitHub pages.

Best,
David

Writing: wyclif.substack.com
Book: www.wyclifsdust.com