[R-pkg-devel] Suggests with non-CRAN packages

Uwe Ligges ||gge@ @end|ng |rom @t@t|@t|k@tu-dortmund@de
Wed Jan 10 16:25:39 CET 2024

On 10.01.2024 15:35, Josiah Parry wrote:
> Thanks, all. As it goes, the package submission failed. The package that
> is suggested is available at https://r.esri.com/bin/
> <https://r.esri.com/bin/> and as such provided `https://r.esri.com
> <https://r.esri.com>` as the url in `Additional_repositories`.

There is no

https://r.esri.com/src

hence it is obviously not a standard repository.

> The request was to remove the additional repositories and provide
> instructions for package installation in the Description field. This
> package, arcgisbinding, is used in one line of the entire package
> https://github.com/R-ArcGIS/arcgisutils/blob/64093dc1a42fa28010cd45bb6ae8b8c57835cb40/R/arc-auth.R#L123 <https://github.com/R-ArcGIS/arcgisutils/blob/64093dc1a42fa28010cd45bb6ae8b8c57835cb40/R/arc-auth.R#L123> to extract an authorization token. It is provided for compatibility with a semi-closed-source R package. The installation instructions for which are....lengthy (https://r.esri.com/r-bridge-site/arcgisbinding/installing-arcgisbinding.html <https://r.esri.com/r-bridge-site/arcgisbinding/installing-arcgisbinding.html>) and /only /available as a windows binary. Providing an explicit call out for installation in the "Description" field of the DESCRIPTION feels like it is co-opting the Description to describe the installation process for a function that I anticipate /very few /people to use.

So you can either remove the need for that package or say something like
".... and if an authorization token is to be extracted on Windows, the
'arcgisbinding' package is needed that can be installed as explained at
<https://r.esri.com>."

Best,
Uwe Ligges