[R-pkg-devel] Wrong mailing list: Could the 100 byte path length limit be lifted?

Tue Dec 12 17:13:44 CET 2023

    > We include other software in our source code. It has some long paths so a few of the files end up with paths longer than 100 bytes, and we need to manually rename them whenever we pull in updates.
    > The 100 byte path limit is from tar v7, and since
    > POSIX1.1988, there has not been a path length limit. That
    > standard is 35 years old now, so given that there is
    > probably no one using an old version of tar that also
    > wants to use the latest version of R, could the 100 byte
    > limit be lifted? Incidentally, I am a big proponent of
    > wide, long-term support, but it's hard to see that this
    > change would negatively impact anyone.

    > Best wishes,
    > Justin

Wrong mailing list:

This is a topic for R-devel,  not at all R-package-devel,
but be more accurate in what you are talking about, only between
the line I could read that it is about some variants of using
'tar'.

Best regards,
Martin
---