[R-pkg-devel] Status of -mmacosx-version-min

Sun Dec 10 05:21:18 CET 2023

On 10 December 2023 at 17:07, Simon Urbanek wrote:
| As discussed here before packages should *never* set -mmacosx-version-min
| or similar flags by hand.

a) That is in conflict with what was said in the past; we have used an
explicit min version of 10.14 for the C++17 we were using then (and we now
need a bit more so 11.0 is welcome).

b) That is in conflict with how I read the R manual I quoted: R Admin,
Section 'C.3.10 Building binary packages'. Recall that our package uses a
binary artifact (by permission) so we have to play along and this minimum
version used by both matters.

c) That also appears to be in conflict with empirics. A quick search [1] at
the searchable CRAN mirror finds around a dozen packages doing just that:
setting a minimum version.

Anyway -- I 'eventually' got the info I need.

Best regards, Dirk

[1] https://github.com/search?q=org%3Acran%20mmacosx-version-min&type=code

--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org