[R-pkg-devel] URL woes at CRAN: Anaconda edition

Aron Atkins @ron@@tk|n@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Nov 30 18:28:32 CET 2023

On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 11:49 AM Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org> wrote:

> And *of course* the same URL resolves fine for me in the browser without
> any
> apparent redirect.  Bit of a web newb here but is there anything I can do
> short of deleteing the badge?

The badge you're referencing is hosted by a cloudflare CDN, which uses
"magic" to return error responses to non-humans.

You can see this behavior by running curl against the URL:

curl -I https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/r-tiledb
HTTP/2 400
server: cloudflare

I have seen this behavior for other resources, but generally have
experienced 403 responses.

This urlchecker issue discusses what I had seen:
https://github.com/r-lib/urlchecker/issues/26

I do not have guidance other than to either remove the URL or add a note
stating that the 400 errors are only presented to robots. Perhaps CRAN
occasionally adjusts its User-Agent to avoid some of these challenges? Not
sure.

Aron
--
email: aron.atkins using gmail.com