[R-pkg-devel] Conversion failure in 'mbcsToSbcs'

Package Maintainer ggene@|ogyp@ck@ge @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Nov 17 15:16:27 CET 2023

Hello:

About three weeks ago, I received a message that a CRAN package I maintain
(ggenealogy) had issues with "Unicode chars not available to pdf()".

As shown here
<https://www.r-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-devel-linux-x86_64-debian-clang/ggenealogy-00check.html>,
it seems ERRORs occur when building the vignette, such as:

1) conversion failure on 'Lubomír Kubáček' in 'mbcsToSbcs': for č (U+010D)
2) conversion failure on 'Anders Ågren' in 'mbcsToSbcs': for Å (U+00C5)

I have attempted to add lines such as:

1) pdf.options(encoding='ISOLatin2.enc') to the vignettes/ggenealogy.Rnw
file
2) set_null_device("cairo") to the vignettes/ggenealogy.Rnw file (this
gives me a "could not find function "set_null_device"" ERROR)

I have been a bit stuck on how to resolve these new issues. A few days ago,
I noticed my package was removed from CRAN before the stated deadline AoE
(Anywhere on Earth), and so I decided to upload all changes I had made up
until that point into a new ggenealogy_1.0.2.tar.gz file to the CRAN
submission website. However, it seems the problem remain, and so I'm now
reaching out to the list-serve to see if this may help me resolve the
issues in a timely manner.

Thank you for your patience and guidance.

Kind regards,
LAR