[R-pkg-devel] Package submission issue - OMP reduction (flang-new)

Romain Pierlot rom@|n@p|er|ot @end|ng |rom u-borde@ux@|r
Mon Nov 13 19:07:23 CET 2023

An issue has already been sent on the GitHub page of llvm for 2 weeks : https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/issues/70828

But even if it is a compiler bug, as many people are waiting for my package, it would be nice to find a way to avoid the bug in order to sent it on the CRAN.

Any advice ?

Thanks,

Romain Pierlot

----- Mail original -----
De: "Tomas Kalibera" <tomas.kalibera using gmail.com>
À: "Romain Pierlot" <romain.pierlot using u-bordeaux.fr>, "r-package-devel" <r-package-devel using r-project.org>
Envoyé: Lundi 13 Novembre 2023 18:12:31
Objet: Re: [R-pkg-devel] Package submission issue - OMP reduction (flang-new)

On 11/13/23 16:39, Romain Pierlot wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I sent a first message a few weeks ago. I'm still in trouble for sending a package (Frailtypack) on the CRAN. It was removed because of reinforcement in CRAN requirements.
> We corrected the few issues, but more appeared, and one that I'm still enable to correct.
>
> Here is the error message, and the adequate code part is joint in the mail :
>
> error: loc("/data/gannet/ripley/R/packages/incoming/frailtypack.Rcheck/00_pkg_src/frailtypack/src/Integrale_mult_scl.f90":1811:17): 'omp.reduction' op must be used within an operation supporting reduction clause interface
> error: verification of lowering to FIR failed
>
> I've already received precious help, that indicated me that the error probably comes from the flang-new compiler used by the CRAN (He replicated the error, I send you the code he made in attachment too : test_fortran.f90).
> I tried the code portion with other compilers (gfortran), and the error didn't appear.
>
> Nevertheless, It may be a compiler error, the CRAN keeps denying the package.
>
> Does anyone have a solution, to avoid this error please ?

If you are sufficiently confident this is a compiler bug, it would be
great if you could submit a bug report for LLVM/flang-new, so that it
could be fixed. You would also likely get feedback this way confirming
whether it really is a compiler bug or a problem in your code. And if it
is a confirmed bug, you might even get an advice for a work-around for
older compilers.

Tomas