[R-pkg-devel] [r-package-devel] Win.Metafile and package check - "Found the platform-specific device:"

W@y@e@W@Jo@es m@iii@g oii sheii@com W@y@e@W@Jo@es m@iii@g oii sheii@com
Fri Nov 3 13:59:36 CET 2023

Dear R-Package-Devel,

As part of GWSDAT package (https://github.com/waynegitshell/GWSDAT) we support the option to output plots to a WMF (https://r-graphics.org/recipe-output-vector-wmf) format if, and only if,  the user is on Windows. However, when I run the package checks on here it complains about using a platform specific function with the following message:

  Found the platform-specific device:
    'win.metafile'
  dev.new() is the preferred way to open a new device, in the unlikely
  event one is needed.

In my opinion this is a false positive - and a similar issue has previously been reported here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/70585796/unable-to-understand-1-note-in-devtoolscheck-caused-by-a-platform-specific-d

Any ideas on how I modify the code and package submission to automatically pass the checks?

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne Jones
Principal Data Scientist
Decarbonisation Data Science

Tel: +44 (0) 207 934 4330
Projects and Technology, Shell Research Limited, Shell Centre, York Road, London, SE1 7NA
Email: Wayne.W.Jones using shell.com<mailto:Wayne.W.Jones using shell.com>
Intranet: Shell.ai<https://eu001-sp.shell.com/sites/AAFAA6690/Shell.ai/homepage.aspx>
Internet: www.shell.ai<http://www.shell.ai/>