[R-pkg-devel] RFC: an interface to manage use of parallelism in packages

Reed A. Cartwright r@c@rtwr|ght @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Oct 25 22:54:53 CEST 2023

Hi Ivan,

Interesting package, and I'll provide more feedback later. For a
comparison, I'd recommend looking at how GNU make does parallel processing.
It uses the concept of job server and job slots. What I like about it is
that it is implemented at the OS level because make needs to support
interacting with non-make processes. On Windows it uses a named semaphore,
and on Unix-like system it uses named pipes or simple pipes to pass tokens
around.

https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Job-Slots

Cheers,
Reed