[R-pkg-devel] Too many cores used in examples (not caused by data.table)

Jan van der Laan rhe|p @end|ng |rom eoo@@dd@@n|
Tue Oct 24 17:01:24 CEST 2023

You are not the only one; I did the same with some of my examples.

Would it be an option to ask for a default R-option, 'max.ncores', that
specifies the maximum number of cores a process is allowed to use? CRAN
could then require that that examples, tests and vignettes respect this
option. That way there would be one uniform option to specify the
maximum number of cores processes could use. That would also make it
easier for system administrators to set default values for this (use the
entire system; or use one code by default on a shared system).

Of course, we package maintainers could do this without involvement of
R-code or CRAN. We only need to agree on a name and a default value for
when the option is missing (0 = use all cores; 1 or 2; or ncores-1 ...).

Jan