[R-pkg-devel] Failing to write config file in linux

Sun Oct 22 19:16:08 CEST 2023

Installed packages may not be modified because they are permitted to be installed with read-only access. You have no option to proceed in this direction.

Configuration files are normally stored in the user's working directory. Dotfiles are a common convention in *nix operating systems, but in Windows the conventions are a bit different. The most general solution is to allow the user to specify an R option in .Rprofile [1], but you can setup defaults depending on the user's OS to back that up in case they don't actually take the steps to do that.

[1] https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/base/html/options.html