[R-pkg-devel] R_orderVector1 - algo: radix, shell, or another?

Jan Gorecki j@goreck| @end|ng |rom w|t@edu@p|
Sun Sep 24 10:38:41 CEST 2023

Dear pkg developers,

Are there any ways to check which sorting algorithm is being used when
calling `order` function? Documentation at
https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/base/html/sort.html
says it is radix for length < 2^31

On the other hand, I am using R_orderVector1, passing in double float
smaller than 2^31. Short description of it states
"Fast version of 1-argument case of R_orderVector".
Should I expect R_orderVector1 follow the same algo as R's order()? If so
it should be radix as well.

https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/ed51d34ec195b89462a8531b9ef30b7b72e47204/src/main/sort.c#L1133

If there is no way to check sorting algo, could anyone describe which one
R_orderVector1 uses, and if there is easy API to use different ones from C?

Best Regards,
Jan Gorecki