[R-pkg-devel] roxygen style documentation for data sets

Michael L Friendly |r|end|y @end|ng |rom yorku@c@
Thu Sep 21 22:30:11 CEST 2023

I am an RStudio user, and I could see this as a plugin somewhere, but I don't want to create a package just for this.

I'd rather that my code could be adopted somewhere in the framework of devtools/usethis/ ...

It's so obvious that this tool should be there somewhere, particularly since RStudio makes it hard to work with .Rd files, except those generated by devtools (which shouldn't be
edited). E.g., I have many legacy .Rd files for data. I can't select example code and click Run, as one can do with roxygen documentation in .R files.

-Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2023 3:58 PM
To: Michael L Friendly <friendly using yorku.ca>; r-package-devel using r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R-pkg-devel] roxygen style documentation for data sets

Hi Michael.

I don't know if you're an RStudio user, but this seems ideal as the basis for an RStudio plug-in.  Just install it, then when you want to generate docs for some dataset defined in R code, move to the start of the definition and hit some hot key to insert the documentation skeleton ahead of the data definition.

Duncan Murdoch