[R-pkg-devel] fortran integer(kind=)

Berry Boessenkool berryboe@@enkoo| @end|ng |rom hotm@||@com
Thu Aug 31 08:52:47 CEST 2023

Dear list members,

my R package dwdradar uses Fortran code with the input parameter integer(KIND=2):
https://github.com/brry/dwdradar/blob/master/src/binary_to_num.f90#L20
https://github.com/brry/dwdradar/blob/master/src/binary_to_num.f90#L55

The CRAN team wrote to change that (line breaks added):
According to the Fortran standards, numerical values are just an enumeration.
What e.g. real(kind=4) means (or even if it is accepted) is implementation dependent.
Please change them to something portable.
kind(1.0) or kind(1.0d0} are  commonly used, as is c_double from iso_c_binding.

There are differing(?) answers on stackoverflow that I don't understand:
https://stackoverflow.com/a/3170438

With what should I replace the current code?
A pointer to relevant info would already be highly appreciated.

Thanks ahead,
Berry

PS: I contacted the original author, but his Fortran skills also do not suffice to solve this issue...
PPS: a related issue came up in this list yesterday:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-package-devel/2023q3/009514.html