[R-pkg-devel] Re-building vignettes had CPU time 9.2 times elapsed time

Greg Hunt greg @end|ng |rom ||rm@n@y@h@com
Sat Aug 26 04:13:57 CEST 2023

The question should be, in how many cases is the current behaviour a
problem?  In a shared environment, sure, you have to be more careful.  I'd
say don't let the teenagers in there. The CRAN build server does need to do
something to protect itself and I don't greatly mind the 2 thread limit, I
implemented it by hand in my examples and didn't think about it
afterwards.  On most 8, 16 or 32 way environments, dedicated or
semi-dedicated to a particular workload, the defaults make some level of
sense and they are probably most of the use cases.  Protecting high
processor count environments from people who don't know what they are doing
would seem to be a mismatch between the people and the environment, not so
much a matter of software.