[R-pkg-devel] Trouble with long-running tests on CRAN debian server

Fri Aug 25 15:53:02 CEST 2023

On 25 August 2023 at 15:37, Uwe Ligges wrote:

| On 23.08.2023 16:00, Scott Ritchie wrote:
| > Hi Uwe,
| >
| > I agree and have also been burnt myself by programs occupying the
| > maximum number of cores available.
| >
| > My understanding is that in the absence of explicit parallelisation, use
| > of data.table in a package should not lead to this type of behaviour?
|
| Yes, that would be my hope, too.

No everybody involved with data.table thinks using 50% is already a
compromise giving up performance, see eg Jan's comment from yesterday (and
everything leading up to it):

   https://github.com/Rdatatable/data.table/issues/5658#issuecomment-1691831704

*You* have a local constraint (that is perfectly reasonable) as *you* run
multiple package tests. So *you* should set a low value for OMP_THREAD_LIMIT.

Many users spend top dollars to have access to high-powered machines for
high-powered analyses. They do want all cores.

There simply cannot be one setting that addresses all situations. Please set
a low limit as your local deployment requires it.

Dirk

--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org