[R-pkg-devel] Setting valgrind options when running R CMD check --use-valgrind

Wed Aug 23 22:49:17 CEST 2023

On 23/08/2023 2:54 p.m., Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> When I invoke valgrind via
>     R -d valgrind -e '...'
> the options in the file ~/.valgrindrc are being picked up. Good.
>
> When I invok valgrind via
>     R CMD check --use-valgrind ...
> the options in the file ~/.valgrindrc are NOT being picked up. Bad.
>
> And valgrind complains.  How can I add the needed options?  Adding
>     --debugger-args="...."
> does not work.  Is there another trick?

I don't know the answer to your question, but here's something to try.
There's a way to run an "R CMD check" equivalent from a regular session,
so presumably it could be done from "R -d valgrind -e":

     tools:::.check_packages(c("pkg", "--option1", "--option2"))

A likely problem is that many of the check tests are run in separate
processes; I don't know if the valgrind setting would be inherited or not.