[R-pkg-devel] Trouble with long-running tests on CRAN debian server

Scott Ritchie @r|tch|e73 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Aug 21 14:28:54 CEST 2023

Hi Ivan,

Here is the NOTE generated by CRAN:

* checking examples ... [5s/2s] NOTE
Examples with CPU time > 2.5 times elapsed time
                            user system elapsed ratio
remove_technical_variation 2.603  0.027    0.94 2.798

This doesn't appear to be related to data.table threads, here is what
I see after explicitly setting setDTthreads(1)

On my own machine (OSX Monterey, arm64 M1 processor):

> system.time({ remove_technical_variation(test_data) })
   user  system elapsed
  0.460   0.004   0.466

And on my University's cluster (RHEL 7, intel xeon platinum 8276 CPU @ 2.2 GHz):

> system.time({ remove_technical_variation(test_data) })
   user  system elapsed
  1.108   0.020   1.130

Runtimes are similar on these two machines when using an older version
of ukbnmr that has a 5x- larger test dataset (50 rows instead of 10
rows).

Best,

Scott