[R-pkg-devel] Suppressing compiler warnings?

Mark Padgham m@rk@p@dgh@m @end|ng |rom em@||@com
Mon Aug 14 11:51:20 CEST 2023

An update of a package of mine got immediately kicked off CRAN because
an externally-bundled file which had not been changed for years, and
which included "pragma clang system_header" to suppress warnings. The
concern is fair enough. Removing that nevertheless now generates a heap
of warnings which CRAN will have to wade through / grep to assess
whether any are of concern. These can be easily suppressed by replacing
cheap "system_header" with targeted suppression of just two classes of
warnings for that bundled header file only. But I guess this is also
forbidden? Should I now just leave those warnings, and rely on CRAN's
grep policies to assess them? Is there any public list of what such grep
policies might be? (And no, I can't adapt the code to remove the
warnings, because most are "zero-as-null-pointer-constant", but the "0"
is actually better than nullptr the way the code is constructed. The
rest are - currently - unimportant deprecation warnings, all of one
specific class.)

Thanks,

Mark