[R-pkg-devel] gdb availability on r-devel-linux-x86_64-fedora-gcc

Uwe Ligges ||gge@ @end|ng |rom @t@t|@t|k@tu-dortmund@de
Sat Aug 12 18:12:35 CEST 2023

On 12.08.2023 15:10, Jamie Lentin wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Our package gadget3[0] has just started failing the "donttest"
> additional check[1] on r-devel-linux-x86_64-fedora-gcc, specifically:-
>
>    > # Build the model in an isolated R session w/debugger
>    > writeLines(TMB::gdbsource(g3_tmb_adfun(cpp, compile_flags = "-g",
> output_script = TRUE)))
>    Error in system(cmd, intern = TRUE, ignore.stdout = FALSE,
> ignore.stderr = TRUE) :
>      error in running command
>    Calls: writeLines -> <Anonymous> -> system
>    Execution halted
>
> The system call in question is done by the TMB package[2], and not ours
> to tinker with:
>
>    cmd <- paste("R --vanilla < ",file," -d gdb --debugger-args=\"-x",
>                 gdbscript,"\"")
>    txt <- system(cmd,intern=TRUE,ignore.stdout=FALSE,ignore.stderr=TRUE)
>
> My only vaguely reasonable guess is that gdb isn't available on the host
> in question (certainly R will be!). How likely is this? Is it worth
> trying to resubmit with the call wrapped with an "if (gdb is on the path)"?

I guess it is really not available as that system got an update.
Note that you package does not declare any SystemRequirements. Please do
so and mention gdb.

Wrapping it in "if (gdb is on the path)" seems a good solution.

Best,
Uwe Ligges