[R-pkg-devel] preventing auto-update of R and c2d4u r-cran-* packages on Ubuntu 22.04

Thomas Petzoldt thom@@@petzo|dt @end|ng |rom tu-dre@den@de
Fri Aug 11 07:54:38 CEST 2023

On 10.08.2023 at 17:56 Neal Fultz wrote:
> In the past, I've extracted the pre-built debian packages into the
> user's personal folder, instead of installing them via apt. It worked
> (but it was not fun), and was pretty manual.  That might interact a bit
> better with some of the third party tools for dealing with dependencies
> in shiny apps, compared to system-wide installs; ymmv.

Thank you for the suggestion. My implemented approach works indeed
similar to this.

After moving this discussion to R-SIG-Debian
(https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-debian/2023-August/thread.html),
Dirk Eddelbuettel suggested five different approaches.

I made indeed a snapshot (a local copy) of the complete "site-library"
folder to another place of the file system (e.g.
"site-library-snapshot"). In the .Renviron file of the shiny user, the
environment variable R_LIBS_USER then points to this location. The base
packages from "library" are conservative, so I decided to use them from
the original position.

Finally, an rmarkdown script provided by the shiny-server can report the
value of .libPaths() and versions and locations of installed packages:

installed.packages()[,2:3]

This works well, except for a package that contained relative symbolic
links to the file system.

Thomas