[R-pkg-devel] Changes to checks on NEWS?

J C Nash pro|jcn@@h @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jul 26 15:37:38 CEST 2023

In work on an upgrade to my optimx package, I added to my (plain text) NEWS
file.

The lines

VERSION 2023-06-25

       o This is a MAJOR revision and overhaul of the optimx package and its components.
       o Fixed CITATION file based on R CMD check --as-cran complaints
         regarding requirement for person() and bibentry() changes.

pass R CMD check --as-cran

but

VERSION 2023-06-25

     This is a MAJOR revision and overhaul of the optimx package and its components.
       o Fixed CITATION file based on R CMD check --as-cran complaints
         regarding requirement for person() and bibentry() changes.

give a NOTE that news cannot process the chunk/lines in NEWS.

R CMD check    passes. (i.e., CRAN checks are tripping the NOTE).

I don't see anything about this in Writing R Extensions at moment.

Does anyone have information on what may have changed. I'd like to avoid NOTEs if possible,
and since I'm using a plain-text NEWS, don't believe this should trigger one.

The version that passes was the result of some almost random tries to see what would
trigger a note.

Cheers,

John Nash