[R-pkg-devel] Check package without suggests

Henrik Bengtsson henr|k@bengt@@on @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jul 19 09:21:46 CEST 2023

Hello,

this is *not* a new behavior on CRAN, at least on (re-)submissions to
CRAN.  The package has to pass R CMD check --as-cran with all OK. If
one of the Suggests:ed package is not installed, but one of your
examples or package tests needed it, that would be detected by the
check system.

The win-builder service is will detect this
(https://win-builder.r-project.org/).

See <https://github.com/HenrikBengtsson/port4me/blob/develop/.github/workflows/R-CMD-check.yaml>
for an example how to do this on GitHub Actions.

If you're on macOS, and have installed R the default way, it takes
more work to test on that platform. It works out of the box on Linux
and MS Windows.  See the '[R-SIG-Mac] CRAN installer for macOS -
directory permissions' thread started in April 2022
<https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2022-April/014371.html>,
continued in May 2022
<https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2022-May/thread.html>, and
June 2022 <https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2022-June/014469.html>.
It was then renamed to 'System-wide site library [Was: CRAN installer
for macOS - directory permissions]' in June 2022
<https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2022-June/014501.html>.

/Henrik