[R-pkg-devel] Feedback on "Using Rust in CRAN packages"

Fri Jul 14 01:49:35 CEST 2023

On 13/07/2023 7:19 p.m., Hadley Wickham wrote:
>>> If CRAN cannot trust even the official one of Rust, why does CRAN have Rust at all?
>>>

>> I don't see the connection - if you downloaded something in the past it doesn't mean you will be able to do so in the future. And CRAN has Rust because it sounded like a good idea to allow packages to use it, but I can see that it opened a can of worms that we trying to tame here.
>
> Can you give a bit more detail about your concerns here? Obviously
> crates.io isn't some random site on the internet, it's the official
> repository of the Rust language, supported by the corresponding
> foundation for the language. To me that makes it feel very much like
> CRAN, where we can assume if you downloaded something in the past, you
> can download something in the future.

That last statement is true, but also sort of false: you should be able
to download the same version of the package that you downloaded last
time, but you might not be able to download a version of the package
that works with the current version of R.