[R-pkg-devel] Feedback on "Using Rust in CRAN packages"

Hadley Wickham h@w|ckh@m @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jul 13 20:38:24 CEST 2023

> > it is not expected to use cargo to resolve them from random (possibly
> inaccessible) places
>
> Yes, I agree with you. So, I suggested the possibility of forbidding the
> Git dependency. Or, do you call crates.io, Rust's official repository,
> "random places"? If CRAN cannot trust even the official one of Rust, why
> does CRAN have Rust at all?

It's worth noting that crates.io is supported by the Rust foundation
(https://foundation.rust-lang.org). Judging from their most recent
annual report (https://foundation.rust-lang.org/static/publications/annual-reports/annual-report-2022.pdf),
where they reported a $880k surplus, I think they're probably going to
be around for a while.

Hadley

--
http://hadley.nz