[R-pkg-devel] Public URLs for help for versions of base packages

Fri Jun 30 11:03:52 CEST 2023

On 29/06/2023 4:46 p.m., Ivan Krylov wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2023 20:22:47 +0100
> David Hugh-Jones <davidhughjones using gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a source of online help for R base
>> packages, which covers all versions (for some reasonable value of
>> "all"). So e.g. the equivalent of `?lm` for R 4.1.0.
>
> These live in the R source tree, under src/library:
> https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/library/
>
> For the actual releases of R, you may have to go looking at the
> branches inside that repository, e.g., the following command:
>
> svn log \
>   https://svn.r-project.org/R/branches/R-4-1-branch/src/library/stats/man/lm.Rd
>
> ...should tell you the history of ?lm until the latest R-4.1-patched.
>
> Do the Git mirrors track these release branches? The branching model of
> Subversion [*] is different from the Git model, so perhaps not.

The wch/r-source mirror tracks the releases.  It takes svn tags and
branches and converts them all to git branches.  For example, here's the
help for Rd2HTML from R 2.9.0:

https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/tags/R-2-9-0/src/library/tools/man/Rd2HTML.Rd