[R-pkg-devel] Change package name

@vi@e@gross m@iii@g oii gm@ii@com @vi@e@gross m@iii@g oii gm@ii@com
Tue Jun 20 23:39:48 CEST 2023

If you really need a new package name, is there an accepted way to update
the old name to at least provide a message for a while as to the new name to
use and perhaps have the load otherwise fail?

-----Original Message-----
From: R-package-devel <r-package-devel-bounces using r-project.org> On Behalf Of
Dirk Eddelbuettel
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2023 12:00 PM
To: William Becker <william.becker using bluefoxdata.eu>
Cc: r-package-devel using r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R-pkg-devel] Change package name

Hi William,

On 20 June 2023 at 16:06, William Becker wrote:
| I am the maintainer of a package which is unfortunately involved in a
complicated dispute regarding its intellectual property (since the package
was partly built under a contract with an organisation), but also the
"branding" of the package, i.e. the name.

| The story is long and complicated, but suffice to say that the name of the
package is apparently creating a misleading connection with the
organisation, and this is causing difficulties on both sides.

| I am aware that changing the name of a package is very disruptive, and I
am not considering it lightly. However just for information at this stage, I
wonder if anyone could tell me whether packages have ever changed names on
CRAN, what the rules are in these cases, and if there is any advice for
minimising the disruption.

| To reiterate, I am not (yet) planning to do this, but exploring options
and looking for advice.

You presented the reasoning convincingly and are aware of the general "we
would rather not do this" sentiment. Ultimately, this (as so often) is
CRAN's
call so you have to do that (directly and not via this list).  My sense is
that you have a case but only CRAN can tell.

Good luck,  Dirk

--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org