[R-pkg-devel] clang linker error: Symbol not found: _objc_msgSend$UTF8String

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Sun Jun 18 00:29:17 CEST 2023

Andreas,

that is actually not your problem - the stubs are generated in glib, so your package can do nothing about it, your compile flags won't change it. The only way to fix it is on my end, the proper way is to upgrade to Xcode 14 for the package builds, but that requires some changes to the build machine, so I'll do it on Monday when I'm at work, so hold on tight in the meantime.

Cheers,
Simon

Explanation of the issue for posterity: the issue is caused by Xcode 14 which generates those stubs[1], but can also handle them. However, older Xcode versions cannot. We are using macOS 11 target and SDK to ensure compatibility with older macOS versions, but apparently Xcode 14 assumes that the linking will still happen with Xcode 14 even if libraries are compiled for older targets. Therefore the proper fix is to make sure that packages are also linked with Xcode 14. Another work-around would be to compile glib with -fno-objc-msgsend-selector-stubs so it would also work with older Xcode, but it's more future-proof to just upgrade Xcode.

[1] https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/issues/56034