[R-pkg-devel] Please install cmake on macOS builders

Wed May 10 21:31:29 CEST 2023

    > Simon,

    > Explicitly declaring

    > SystemRequirements: cmake

    > appears to be insufficient to get a build on the (otherwise lovely to have)
    > 'macOS builder', and leads to failure on (at least) 'r-oldrel-macos-x86_64'.

    > Would it be possible to actually have cmake installed?

    > These daus cmake is for better or worse becoming a standard, and I rely on it
    > for one (new) package to correctly configure a library. It would be nice to
    > be able to rely on it on macOS too.

Somewhat 'ditto' from here {about wanting 'cmake' to become +/-
standard tool for R packages use, *not* at all related to macOS} :

The SuiteSparse C library on parts of which our Matrix package
builds extensively  has also switched their setup to use  cmake
instead of make ... and this was actually one reason we have not
yet updated to the latest versions of SuiteSparse for the Matrix
package.

As Matrix is formally recommended, I would even be happy if
'cmake' became a +/- required OS tool for R ...

Martin

--
Martin Maechler
ETH Zurich  and  R Core team