[R-pkg-devel] Unfortunate function name generic.something

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Tue May 9 00:58:43 CEST 2023

> On 8/05/2023, at 11:58 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There really isn't such a thing as "a function that looks like an S3 method, but isn't".  If it looks like an S3 method, then in the proper circumstances, it will be called as one.

I disagree - that was the case in old versions, but not anymore. The whole point of introducing namespaces and method registration was to make it clear when a function is a method and when it is a function. If you export a function it won't be treated as a method:

In a package NAMESPACE:
export(foo.cls)
package R code: foo.cls <- function(x) "foo.cls"

in R:
> cls=structure(1,class="cls")
> foo=function(x) UseMethod("foo")
> foo(cls)
Error in UseMethod("foo") :
  no applicable method for 'foo' applied to an object of class "cls"
> foo.cls(cls)
[1] "foo.cls"

So R knows very well what is a method and what is a function. If you wanted it to be a method, you have to use S3method(foo, cls) and that **is** different from export(foo.cls) - quite deliberately so.

Cheers,
Simon