[R-pkg-devel] CRAN check fails on NEWS

Gert van Valkenhoef gert @end|ng |rom gertvv@n|
Wed Apr 26 20:38:36 CEST 2023

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help me understand this new CRAN check failure that
occurs on Debian but not on Windows:

Debian:<https://win-builder.r-project.org/incoming_pretest/smaa_0.3-2_20230424_202447/Debian/00check.log>

* checking package subdirectories ... NOTE
Problems with news in ‘NEWS’:
   Cannot process chunk/lines:
     smaa 0.3-0
   ... etc ...

This error was not raised by previous versions and I did not change the
NEWS file for this version. The same package passes the same check on
Debian r-devel on r-hub (see the full build log: HTML
<https://builder.r-hub.io/status/smaa_0.3-2.tar.gz-6ab795be6475b44b1ec363a82c45a2cb>,
text
<https://builder.r-hub.io/status/original/smaa_0.3-2.tar.gz-6ab795be6475b44b1ec363a82c45a2cb>,
artifacts
<https://artifacts.r-hub.io/smaa_0.3-2.tar.gz-6ab795be6475b44b1ec363a82c45a2cb>.)

I couldn't find any documentation regarding this error or a clear
specification of how NEWS should be formatted. I had understood it t be
a plain text file.

Thanks in advance,

Gert