[R-pkg-devel] Problem with package containing spatial data

Alexandre Courtiol @|ex@ndre@court|o| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Feb 9 18:41:40 CET 2023

Hi Igor,

I had the same issue using terra rather than sf a couple of weeks ago.

I thought of solving the issue as follow:

   1.

   store the shapefiles under extdata.
   2.

   create a function that loads the files:

.build_internal_files <- function() {
  ## This function should not be called by the user.
  ## It performs the lazy loading of the data since terra cannot
handle rda files
  assign("CountryBorders",
terra::vect(system.file("extdata/CountryBorders.shp", package =
"IsoriX")), envir = as.environment("package:IsoriX"))
  assign("OceanMask", terra::vect(system.file("extdata/OceanMask.shp",
package = "IsoriX")), envir = as.environment("package:IsoriX"))
}

   1. call that function automatically upon attach using .onAttach():

.onAttach <- function(libname, pkgname) {
    .build_internal_files() ## lazy loading of the internal data
}

It seems to work...

Note that .onAttach() is a standard way of defining a function that is
recognised by R and ran when the package is attached.

++

Alex

Alexandre Courtiol, www.datazoogang.de