[R-pkg-devel] Help with CRAN-only Windows-only package build error: System.Rd not found

Mike Blazanin m|keb|@z@n|n @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jan 31 16:02:04 CET 2023

Hi all, trying to troubleshoot my way through my first CRAN package
submission. I've addressed all the other issues so far (much thanks to Uwe
from CRAN for that).

In the second-to-last version I submitted via devtools::release(), it
raised 1 WARNING on both Windows and Debian:
* checking sizes of PDF files under 'inst/doc' ... WARNING
  'gs+qpdf' made some significant size reductions:
     compacted 'noise.pdf' from 1.4Mb to 1.1Mb

To address this, I re-released to CRAN with vignette compaction active:
devtools::release(args = "--compact-vignettes=gs+qpdf")

However, this now raises 1 new NOTE (only on Windows) and 1 ERROR. The NOTE
is:
* checking CRAN incoming feasibility ... [7s] NOTE
Reading Rd files failed with
  cannot open the connection
Problems when formatting CITATION entries:
  cannot open file 'D:/RCompile/recent/R/share/Rd/macros/system.Rd': No
such file or directory

Which later produces the ERROR:
* checking whether package 'gcplyr' can be installed ... ERROR
Installation failed.
See 'd:/RCompile/CRANincoming/R-devel/gcplyr.Rcheck/00install.out' for
details.

If I check 00install.out, here's what I see:
* installing *source* package 'gcplyr' ...
** using staged installation
Warning in as.POSIXlt.POSIXct(x, tz) : unknown timezone 'Europe/Berlin'
Warning in as.POSIXlt.POSIXct(x, tz) : unknown timezone 'GMT'
Warning in as.POSIXlt.POSIXct(x, tz) :
  unknown timezone 'America/New_York'
Warning in as.POSIXlt.POSIXct(x, tz) : unknown timezone 'GMT'
Warning in as.POSIXlt.POSIXct(x, tz) :
  unknown timezone 'America/New_York'
** R
** data
*** moving datasets to lazyload DB
** inst
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
Error in if (file.size(codeFile) == file.size(loaderFile)) warning("package
seems to be using lazy loading already") else { :
  missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed
Calls: <Anonymous>
Execution halted
ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'gcplyr'
* removing 'd:/RCompile/CRANincoming/R-devel/lib/gcplyr'
* restoring previous 'd:/RCompile/CRANincoming/R-devel/lib/gcplyr'

There were no changes to the code between two submissions, and when I
googled around to try to figure out what might be causing this error, I
couldn't find anything that would explain why a submission that was
successful other than a single too-large vignette pdf now raises an error
when the pdf's are compacted before submission.

The full package source code is available at
https://github.com/mikeblazanin/gcplyr.

Let me know if you have any ideas what could be causing this or what to
look into! This isn't an issue I've been able to reproduce on my local
machine nor on the rhub checker so it's a bit difficult for me to debug and
I don't want to take up any more of the CRAN volunteers' time

Thanks!
Mike Blazanin