[R-pkg-devel] Mysterious "invalid z limit"

Georgi Boshnakov georg|@bo@hn@kov @end|ng |rom m@nche@ter@@c@uk
Sun Jan 8 12:42:41 CET 2023

A frequent cause of such errors is that in the offending scenario a method is not visible, so the call goes directly to the default method. This often can be verified by temporarily printing something from your method when it gets control.

Without more details it is difficult to be more specific. It may be a missing import or export, for example.

Georgi Boshnakov

________________________________
From: R-package-devel <r-package-devel-bounces using r-project.org> on behalf of Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, 8 January 2023, 10:05
To: Kevin R. Coombes <kevin.r.coombes using gmail.com>; R Package Development <r-package-devel using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R-pkg-devel] Mysterious "invalid z limit"

On 07/01/2023 8:43 p.m., Kevin R. Coombes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in the middle of developing a new package, which contains a
> markdown-knitr-html vignette. When I try to run
>
> R CMD build [mypackagedirectory]
>
> I get an error message
>
> Quitting from lines 330-336
> Error: processing vignette  failed with diagnostics:
> invalid z limits
>
> If I run the same markdown script interactively inside R Studio, there
> is no error.
> If I knit the markdown script inside R Studio, it produces the correct
> HTML output, with no error.
>
> The offending lines of code (the chunk at 330-336) invoke an "image"
> method on an object of a class defined in the package, which in turn
> computes a matrix from items inside the object and calls image.default,
> which is presumably where the error is coming from.
>
> Two questions: (1) How is it possible that the same code works error
> free in the RStudio contexts, but fails in the attempt to build the package?
> (2) Any suggestions on how to debug something that only throws an error
> from "R CMD build" would be most welcome.

Debugging that sort of thing is hard.  Here's what I would try:

 From inside an R session, run

   tools:::.build_packages("[mypackagedirectory]")

That runs the code that R CMD build runs, so it might trigger the same
error.  If so, debug in the usual way, with traceback(), etc.

If that doesn't trigger the error, try it using a different front-end,
e.g. running R at the command line instead of running it in RStudio.

If you still can't trigger it, then start modifying the vignette to find
the exact line that causes the error (e.g. by commenting out the second
half of the code in that chunk; did the error go away? etc.).  Then
modify it again to save all the inputs to the bad line in a file before
running it, and see if running that line in a different context still
triggers the error. Etc.