[R-pkg-devel] Question on Description/Citing Feedback

Michael Topper m|ketopper123 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Dec 16 19:06:44 CET 2022

Hello all,

I just received feedback from my first CRAN submission. Currently, I am a
little confused as to one point of the feedback which reads:

*If there are references describing the methods in your package, pleaseadd
these in the description field of your DESCRIPTION file in the formauthors
(year) <doi:...>authors (year) <arXiv:...>authors (year, ISBN:...)or if
those are not available: <https:...>with no space after 'doi:', 'arXiv:',
'https:' and angle brackets forauto-linking. (If you want to add a title as
well please put it inquotes: "Title")*

For some background:

   - My package is named panelsummary. The link to the github can be found
   here: https://github.com/michaeltopper1/panelsummary
   - My package inherits some documentation of some of the parameters from
   the package modelsummary
   <https://vincentarelbundock.github.io/modelsummary/>. In particular, two
   of my functions (panelsummary::panelsummary and
   panelsummary::panelsummary_raw) share a couple of the same arguments as
   modelsummary::modelsummary. I used roxygen2 (@inherits) to generate
   documentation for the shared arguments.
   - Because of this inherited documentation, I have also included the
   author/creator of modelsummary as a copyright holder in the DESCRIPTION
   file with a comment.

My confusion:

   - I understand the Description portion of the DESCRIPTION file needs to
   be edited, but I'm a little confused as to what I am supposed to add and
   how. Do I need to include a citation to the published paper of
   modelsummary and describe where I use the documentation? Modelsummary was
   published in the journal of statistical software and the following was
   included on the modelsummary release information:
      - Arel-Bundock, Vincent (2022). “modelsummary: Data and Model
      Summaries in R.” Journal of Statistical Software, 103(1), 1-23.
      doi:10.18637/jss.v103.i01 https://doi.org/10.18637/jss.v103.i01.’

What would be most helpful:

   - If there is any other Description file from another package that
   contains an example of what to do in such a situation, this would be
   greatly appreciated!

Please let me know if any additional details are needed, and thank you so
much for your help/time!

Michael