[R-pkg-devel] How to reduce examples in a package that takes more than 5 seconds to run?

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom e||ect|vede|en@e@org
Thu Dec 15 16:25:34 CET 2022

On 12/15/22 9:02 AM, Ben Bolker wrote:

> On 2022-12-15 9:57 a.m., Brian G. Peterson wrote:
>> On 12/15/22 08:34, Ismail Otoakhia wrote:
>>> The R package 'ardl.nardl' has some examples that take more than 5
>>> seconds
>>> to run. I was advised by the CRAN team to reduce the run time to less
>>> than
>>> 5 seconds.
>>>
>>> How can this be achieved?
>>
>> - you can lower the amount of data in the example
>>
>> - you can use a faster method than your default method
>>
>> - you can wrap the example in a dontrun tag so it will not run during
>> checking
>>

>    If your example involves something like a fitted model object that
> takes a long time to compute, you can pre-compute the model fit and
> store the object in an inst/testdata directory, then use something like
>
> fitted_model <- readRDS(system.file("testdata", "my_example.rds",
> package = "mypackage"))
>
> to retrieve it

	  The "sos" package includes a function "CRAN", which is used for that
purpose.  The examples section in "findfn.Rd" includes the following:

# Skip these tests on CRAN,
# because they take more than 5 seconds
if(!CRAN()){
}

	  I know that some on this list do not like this construct, but it has
helped me manage this problem for several years.  NOTE:  This CRAN
function is NOT maintained by anyone on CRAN, so it is NOT guaranteed to
work.  However, the "sos" package is currently on CRAN, and I have not
seen an email asking me to avoid it ;-)

https://github.com/sbgraves237/sos/blob/master/man/findFn.Rd

	  Hope this helps.
	  Spencer Graves