[R-pkg-devel] Do you run R on Fedora or Debian?

Sat Dec 10 23:53:27 CET 2022

On 10 December 2022 at 14:27, Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal wrote:
| Perfect.  Thanks.  That is what I am seeing and that is what is expected.  I have even gotten into a debugger,  and looked at to where the file was downloaded,  right after the download,  and it is in a proper temporary space.
|
| Dirk if you really want to be a glutton for punishment,  could you try this:
|
| install.packages("rerddapXtracto",  dependencies = TRUE)
| library(rerddapXtracto)
| xcoord <- mbnms$Longitude
| ycoord <- mbnms$Latitude
| dataInfo <- rerddap::info('etopo180')
| parameter = 'altitude'
| xName <- 'longitude'
| yName <- 'latitude'
| bathy <- rxtractogon (dataInfo, parameter = parameter, xcoord = xcoord,
|                       ycoord = ycoord)
|
| What you would be looking for is any sign that this has left a file in cache in the user's space.  I don't find any in my virtual machine

As luck would have it [1] I still had that container session open in a tab
from byobu [2] so continuing (and another 102 (!!!!!!!) packages as binaries
installed in three or four seconds, gotta bless #r2u)

> install.packages("rerddapXtracto",  dependencies = TRUE) # argument is > redundant, btw
Install system packages as root...
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Ign https://r2u.stat.illinois.edu/ubuntu jammy InRelease
Hit https://r2u.stat.illinois.edu/ubuntu jammy Release
[ ... many lines from r2u & bspm processing omitted ... ]
Setting up r-cran-plotdap (1.0.0-1.ca2204.1) ...
Setting up r-cran-rerddapxtracto (1.1.3-1.ca2204.1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.35-0ubuntu3.1) ...
> library(rerddapXtracto)
> xcoord <- mbnms$Longitude
> ycoord <- mbnms$Latitude
> dataInfo <- rerddap::info('etopo180')
> parameter = 'altitude'
> xName <- 'longitude'
> yName <- 'latitude'
> bathy <- rxtractogon (dataInfo, parameter = parameter, xcoord = xcoord, ycoord = ycoord)
>
> getwd()
[1] "/"

Nothing spewn to stdout. Jumping into the same Docker session via the
much-underappreciated backdoor trick:

edd using rob:~/git/digest(master)$ docker ps
CONTAINER ID   IMAGE                    COMMAND   CREATED          STATUS          PORTS     NAMES
18f6bf0e3bb1   eddelbuettel/r2u:jammy   "bash"    39 minutes ago   Up 39 minutes             nervous_black
edd using rob:~/git/digest(master)$ docker exec -ti nervous_black bash
root using 18f6bf0e3bb1:/# ls
bin  boot  dev  etc  home  lib  lib32  lib64  libx32  media  mnt  opt  proc  root  run  sbin  srv  sys  tmp  usr  var
root using 18f6bf0e3bb1:/# cd ~
root using 18f6bf0e3bb1:~# ls
root using 18f6bf0e3bb1:~#

we see no files in / (where we started) or $HOME.

| Assuming that pans out,  now my question is how to respond to CRAN.  I can give you one guess who from CRAN sent me the notice,  As I said,  I don't know how to fix something when everything I am have available to behaves properly.

I have no idea. But I would trust Ivan's advice as he is essentially always
spot on and minimize / control interaction.  If CRAN reports this to you,
they see it. You should have access to `tempdir()` and friends to make things
per-session, or else you need to ask the user (once) and then store in
user-supplied location.  I think that was discussed here recently.

Good luck,  Dirk

[1] Also commonly called 'attention deficit disorder'
[2] A more user-friendly variant of tmux

| Thanks,
|
| -Roy
|
| > On Dec 10, 2022, at 2:16 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org> wrote:
| >

| > On 10 December 2022 at 14:00, Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal via R-package-devel wrote:
| > | CRAN has sent me a notice about the following:
| > |
| > | https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/donttest/rerddapXtracto.out
| > |
| > | I can not reproduce it.  I test on my Mac,  the cache space is properly handled  (by a package outside mine).  Same with Debian on r-hub.  I installed Fedora on a virtual machine, no problem  (it is assigned a space in /tmp).  I would really appreciate it if someone who runs Debian or Fedora could test the following:
| > |
| > | install.packages("rerddap",  dependencies = TRUE)
| > | library(rerddap)
| > | cache_setup(temp_dir = TRUE)
| > |

--