[R-pkg-devel] Do you run R on Fedora or Debian?

Sat Dec 10 23:16:05 CET 2022

On 10 December 2022 at 14:00, Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal via R-package-devel wrote:
| CRAN has sent me a notice about the following:
|
| https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/donttest/rerddapXtracto.out
|
| I can not reproduce it.  I test on my Mac,  the cache space is properly handled  (by a package outside mine).  Same with Debian on r-hub.  I installed Fedora on a virtual machine, no problem  (it is assigned a space in /tmp).  I would really appreciate it if someone who runs Debian or Fedora could test the following:
|
| install.packages("rerddap",  dependencies = TRUE)
| library(rerddap)
| cache_setup(temp_dir = TRUE)
|
| The last line should print where the cache is setup.  That is called at the start of all of my functions that do downloads.  If you could run that and send me the result I would appreciate it (snd privately no need to spam the list with that).  I am at a loss as to how to respond to CRAN because I can't reproduce that error on anything I can test.  The cacheing is actually done by the package 'crul'.

I used r2u [1] here to install the thirty-six (!!) required dependencies in a
five or so seconds [2], for convenience in Docker with the Ubuntu 22.04
image.  So from

  docker run --rm -ti eddelbuettel/r2u:jammy bash

  apt update -qq
  install.r rerddap

and then as you requested

  > library(rerddap)
  > cache_setup(temp_dir = TRUE)
  [1] "/tmp/Rtmp3sVsk1/R/rerddap"

which seems correct: within the per-R-session temp directory.

Hth, Dirk

[1] See https://eddelbuettel.github.io/r2u/
[2] That's the point of r2u. See [1].

--