[R-pkg-devel] Issue handling datetimes: possible differences between computers

Alexandre Courtiol @|ex@ndre@court|o| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Oct 10 22:50:26 CEST 2022

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the clarification.

From a naive developer point of view, we were initially baffled that the
generic as.POSIXlt() does very different things on a character and on a
Date input:

as.POSIXlt(as.character(foo), "Europe/Berlin")
[1] "1992-09-27 CEST"

as.POSIXlt(foo, "Europe/Berlin")
[1] "1992-09-27 UTC"

Based on what you said, it does make sense: it is only when creating the
date/time that we want to include the time zone and that only happens when
we don't already work on a previously created date.
That is your subtle but spot-on distinction between "parsing" and
"changing" the time zone.

Yet, we do find it dangerous that as.POSIXlt.Date() accepts a time zone but
does nothing of it, especially when the help file starts with:

Usage
as.POSIXlt(x, tz = "", ...)

The behaviour is documented, as Liam reported it, but still, we will almost
certainly not be the last one tripping on this (without even adding the
additional issue of as.POSIXct() behaving differently across OS).

Thanks again,

Alex & Liam

--
Alexandre Courtiol, www.datazoogang.de