[R-pkg-devel] Issue handling datetimes: possible differences between computers

Hadley Wickham h@w|ckh@m @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Oct 10 18:40:42 CEST 2022

On Sun, Oct 9, 2022 at 9:31 PM Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil using dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:

> ... which is why tidyverse functions and Python datetime handling irk me so much.
>
> Is tidyverse time handling intrinsically broken? They have a standard practice of reading time as UTC and then using force_tz to fix the "mistake". Same as Python.

Can you point to any docs that lead you to this conclusion so we can
get them fixed? I strongly encourage people to parse date-times in the
correct time zone; this is why lubridate::ymd_hms() and friends have a
tz argument.

Hadley

--
http://hadley.nz