[R-pkg-devel] Non-ASCII and CRAN Checks

Greg Hunt greg @end|ng |rom ||rm@n@y@h@com
Wed Sep 21 03:00:36 CEST 2022

Leaving data in the wrong encoding is leaving a bug around waiting to
surface.  Is the data correctly encoded as Latin1 (codepage 8859-1),
Windows 8 bit (codepage 1252, also sometimes referred to as Latin1) or some
Unicode encoding (likely UTF-8)?

Character mapping is not such an issue for mapping characters between the
traditional 8 bit character sets (they do very little interpretation), but
in going in and out of Unicode with incorrectly encoded data you can end up
with non-characters (a concept that does not exist in 8 bit character sets)
in your data which bite you much later when other systems require data to
be Unicode characters.  I also had some extremely odd behaviour from R
around the beginning of the year when some Unicode accented characters got
into some variable names and data frame data access got quite weird.

Greg