[R-pkg-devel] Examples taking too long depend on object that takes a while to generate

Thu Sep 15 11:29:46 CEST 2022

    >> > Thanks for that info.  That's not good for John, because the
    >> > architecture isn't known at build time.
    >>
    >> > Duncan Murdoch
    >>
    >> Sorry to muddy the water, but what *is* "build time"?
    >> There's the big difference between building
    >> 1) a  Source tarball                    and
    >> 2) a  MacOS or Windows binary package
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, the two situations are very different notably in
    >> this case, where '(2)' is really much closer to the
    >> "install time" you mention.
    >>

    > I meant building the tarball, and assumed that was what Ivan was talking
    > about as well.

    > Duncan Murdoch

Ok, thank you, for the clarification.

Note that  `R CMD build --help`  mentions (among more)

  --resave-data=        re-save data files as compactly as possible:
                        "no", "best", "gzip" (default)
  --no-resave-data      same as --resave-data=no

so when building the package,
Ivan should get what he wanted with

    R CMD build --no-resave-data  <pkg>

no ?