[R-pkg-devel] Examples taking too long depend on object that takes a while to generate

Thu Sep 15 09:45:49 CEST 2022

    > On 14/09/2022 12:43 p.m., Ivan Krylov wrote:
    >> On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 12:31:49 -0400
    >> Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's also possible to put .R files in the data directory, and they
    >>> are executed to create the data object.  I think that happens at the
    >>> time when you call data() rather than at install time, so it might
    >>> not be helpful.
    >>
    >> Some time ago I was hoping to compress a package of mine by generating a
    >> dataset during a data() call instead loading it from an .rda file, but
    >> it turned out that the .R file is executed during R CMD build:
    >> https://github.com/r-devel/r-svn/blob/03df313ad37456c6a62158328d4e373408ce4d59/src/library/tools/R/build.R#L794

    > Thanks for that info.  That's not good for John, because the
    > architecture isn't known at build time.

    > Duncan Murdoch

Sorry to muddy the water, but what *is* "build time"?
There's the big difference between building
1) a  Source tarball                    and
2) a  MacOS or Windows binary package

Unfortunately, the two situations are very different notably in
this case, where '(2)' is really much closer to the
"install time" you mention.

Martin