[R-pkg-devel] windows i386

Florian Schwendinger F|or|@nSchwend|nger @end|ng |rom gmx@@t
Tue Sep 13 13:14:34 CEST 2022

Dear R-package-developers,

On 'r-oldrel-windows-ix86_x86_64' I get in 'check.log' the error message
"Error: package 'highs' is not installed for 'arch = i386'"
the statement that for arch = i386 the package is not installed is correct and expected,
since in 'install.out' I see the warning
"Warning: this package has a non-empty 'configure.win' file, so building only the main architecture"

Looking at r-package-devel archive, I found the suggestion to set Biarch TRUE in the DESCRIPTION file.
I don't want to force the build of "i386" by setting Biarch: TRUE,
since as far as I see from the source I link to this should not work and I don't want
to alter the library I link to as little as possible.
Therefore, I want skip the step "loading checks for arch 'i386'". Is this possible?

I know locally this can be resolved by adding the option '--no-multiarch',
but can a similar effect be accomplished at the CRAN checks?
Furthermore, I know I can could this issue by adding R >= 4.2 to the depends since Rtools 4.2
does not build for i386. But this does not seem like a nice fix.

Is there a better option and how would it work?

Best regards,
Florian