[R-pkg-devel] [Solved, sort-of] CRAN valgrind reports with zero leaks - actionable?

Mon Aug 29 18:10:20 CEST 2022

Based on further (off-list) follow-ups with Simon and Uwe, the situation can
now be summarized as follows:

 - there appears to be no word about non-leak errors reported by valgrind in
   the official documentation; I will have to plead that those with the power
   to amend these documents maybe address that one day

 - it has been confirmed that when such a valgrind report is present, there
   is no auto-processing of the package and a manual re-check is done; as a
   package maintainer I rather avoid that to minimize manual interventions by
   both the CRAN team and the package maintainer (i.e. myself)

 - using `VALGRIND_OPTS="-s" R -d valgrind -f nameOfTheFile.R` is helpful,
   especially for the test framework I use where test files are standard R
   scripts; this helps in locating the issue

 - in the case that spawned this, the error actually comes from just one test
   and is tickled by a third-party system library so there is nothing for us
   to do here, besides not to run the test

 - so I moved the test into a testfile matching 'test_.*_extra.R' and now
   exclude files with that pattern via .Rbuildignore; that gives us a fuller
   test surface when testing locally via the full the test directory yet
   permits to isolate-away tests we would rather not be running at CRAN.

My thanks to everybody who helped with the question and clarified the context.

Dirk

--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org