[R-pkg-devel] Inputenc error when submitting package

Jacob Roved j@cob@roved @end|ng |rom b|o|@|u@@e
Mon Aug 8 14:58:26 CEST 2022

Dear fellow R-developers,
I received an error when submitting my package MHCtools v. 1.4.3 to CRAN, and I’m simply blank on what to do.

Please see: <https://CRAN.R-project.org/web/checks/check_results_MHCtools.html>

It appears to concern the pdf version of the manual, which is generated by the CRAN servers from the markdown docs in the package folder ‘man’, which in turn are generated by Roxygen from the R code files. If I undestand the CRAN package check results correctly, the problem seems to be some characters, that are not translated by the package inputenc in the CRAN server:

    ! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char â<c2><80><c2><90> (U+2010)
    (inputenc) not set up for use with LaTeX.

This was also listed as existing problems for the previous version of MHCtools (1.4.2), and I’m equally baffled about that, because that passed CRAN submission without errors on May 23rd this year.

I have browsed through all my code files and all the markdown files in the package folder ‘man’, and I don’t find any odd characters.

Interestingly, I don’t get the error when running check_win_devel() or check_rhub().

I hope someone can shed some light on what is going on here.

Kind regards,
Jacob Roved
Postdoc
GLOBE Institute